Picking the right pair of men’s swim trunks can be tough given how many choices there are. There are different characteristics that you should be looking for when choosing the best swim shorts for you.
Different shorts are better for a different kind of swimming activity. Here, we are going to outline a few specific characteristics that you should be looking for. Furthermore, we will go over each of these characteristics and review a few different kinds of swim trunks that we like. Without any further ado, let’s get started.
|Kanu Surf Men's Barracuda Swim Trunks||Best Overall|
|NORTY Mens Swim Trunks||Budget Pick|
|Birdwell Men's 311 Nylon Board Shorts||Upgrade Pick|
1. Kanu Surf Men's Barracuda Swim Trunks
- The silicone waistband is very comfortable
- Offers UV protection which prevents sunburn
- Easy to clean and wear for extended periods of time
- Spandex fabric is stretchy, lightweight, and breathable
- Exterior mesh pockets keep your essentials nearby
- Great price for the quality
- Sizes run a bit small. The waist size and length are accurate, although the length isn't as long as you'd expect in men's trunks
- The print rubs off quickly, but it's not a big loss as the product comes in a ton of other print options
Coming in as the best men’s swim trunks on our list is the Kanu Surf Barracuda.
These brilliant swim trunks are made out of quick-drying, UV protection fabric which keeps you safe from harmful UV rays. The fabric also prevents heat and moisture buildup so you can take it off after a long day of splashing around in the water or taking a ride on your surf board.
The silicone waistband is also very durable. It’s not prone to ripping like other elastic waistbands. The trunks are also available in various colors, which makes these men’s swim trunks a stylish addition to any wardrobe.
2. Columbia Sportswear Mens Backcast III Water Short
- Fully submersible
- Dries quickly
- 12-inch inseam for extra coverage
- Rugged and durable
- The drawstring could be a little longer
- Not a lot of color options to choose from
The Columbia Sportswear Backcast III short is an excellent option for men who frequently find themselves heading out on the water. It comes in two color options – red and yellow. The red is a bold color while the yellow is bright and cheerful.
It’s priced fairly low considering the amount of features and benefits you get out of this product.
Drawcord sized perfectly at the waist. With a 12-inch inseam these shorts feature a high back pockets. These pockets come in handy for keeping your belongings close by and secure, especially if you are a fan of longer water excursions or fishing.
3. Kanu Surf Men's Monaco Swim Trunks
- Ideal for swimming
- Also great for surf, snorkeling, paddleboarding, and boating
- Compression shorts for added support
- 100% nylon construction
- Comes in two colors: black and navy ocean
- Available in sizes XS-XXL
- Machine washable
- 90-day warranty
This pair of swim trunks from Kanu Surf come in black and navy ocean colors. Their nylon construction makes them ideal for a range of water-related activities, from swimming to snorkeling.
The fully-elastic waist provides a snug fit and is complemented by a drawstring for tightening. The 100% polyester compression shorts complete the swimsuit and offer added support.
Note: The compression shorts do not have a liner, which means that they can be worn underneath, but not over, swim or running shorts.
4. Speedo Men's Swim Trunk Short Length Redondo Solid
- The fit is similar to a typical pair of Speedo swim briefs; for reference, this is what I wear and the fit is good
- The shorts have a very nice feel to them and have a good amount of thickness to them
- The waistband is a comfort band and is super sturdy
- The material has somewhat of a plastic feel to it so it should hold up with a lot of use (I swim 3x a week)
- The Speedo logo embroidery is very nice
- Price is very competitive with other swim trunks
- The stitching and hemming is raw at some spots so be careful when putting the shorts on.
- These are the smallest Speedo swim trunks that I could find that fit a variety of body shapes.
- They should fit well for a wider variety of men as the elastic band in the back is extremely forgiving.
- The only issue I had was that they arrived with threads from the stitching and hemming still loose, I would have expected the stitching to be trimmed and then ironed to create a nice edge for shipping.
- If you can get past the raw edges once they are handled and worn a bit, these shorts are very sturdy and well made.
5. SILKWORLD Men's Swim Trunks Quick Dry Beach Shorts
- Available in short and long sizes
- Features a drawstring tie which means you don't need an elastic waistband
- Arrives in a variety of colors
- It dries quickly
- The material is soft and comfortable against the skin
- The pockets are well-sized
- It's not too tight – you can walk around comfortably
- Comes with a hassle-free money back guarantee
- It's a bit tight if you’re of a larger build
- The waistband is a bit thin and doesn’t fit well with a rubber belt
- It's not made of silk.
Silkworm swim trunks for men are made out of a quick dry material – you can go from the beach to a water park and back again with ease. These swimtrunks are suitable for all types of beach activities –from volleyball to surfing.
They’re incredibly comfortable and you can even go for a brisk walk in them, and they’ll feel almost like regular shorts.
The inner fastener means that you don’t have to deal with an elastic swimsuit waistband when getting out of the water.
6. Birdwell Men's 311 Nylon Board Shorts
- Aesthetically inspired with an overall comfortable fit
- Made of 92% Polyester
- Machine washable
- Comes with an adjustable waist
- Fits true to size
- Stylish in design as well as color
- Ability to withstand a variety of weather conditions
- A great value for the price
- Might not withstand a variety of chemicals, including bleach
- Might fade and lose some of its color
- Runs small
- The zips are a bit of a hassle to deal with
- Not as ornamental in design as it appears in the pictures
(Pack of 6)
The Birdwell Men’s 311 Nylon Board Shorts are a combination of style and affordability. They are created to provide the wearer with comfort. You’ll find the material durable.
They’re made of 92% Polyester. Which makes them resistant to a variety of weather conditions while also making them machine washable. Plus, you’ll find that they are extremely lightweight – perfect for active lifestyles.
7. YnimioAOX Men's Swim Trunks Quick Dry Beach Shorts Swimwear Bathing Suit
- Made from high quality material which stretches nicely and won’t fade when repeated washed
- It’s really comfortable and the material dries fast so you can feel more relaxed after swimming.
- It comes with a heavy-duty hook and bar buckle so it can fit almost any body type.
- Really comfortable and durable
- The product fits right and looks just like the picture
- Great quality, provides great support and its very comfortable to wear
- It’s decent quality, just a little tight. Hopefully it will loosen up after more washes, but otherwise it’s a great suit.
- The product runs a little small, I usually wear a L-XL and I have to get the XXL in order for the item to fit properly.
- May be a tight fit for the larger guys
- It’s quite small measurements – I usually wear a large suit and I got the XL and it fits pretty snug – so be aware of that.
- It did not come in the correct item, received the XL in an XXL box.
8. Volcom Men's Macaw Mod Stretch 20" Boardshort
- Premium-like construction
- Short inseam; so it’s good for people of all heights
- The elastic waistband means it’ll fit almost anyone
- Extra-long drawstring tie features unique color-blocking and construction details
- Available in a variety of bold, fun colors
- Double layer front and triple layer back
- Quick-dry material
- Checkband at hem for improved durability
- Water-repellent (best for beach-goer)
- The elastic waistband is occasionally uncomfortable
- The fabric pilled a bit after washing
- Front pockets are shallow and hard to use
According to the reviews, the best thing about this swimshort is its eye-catching style. Even though it’s a bit pricey – it’s worth the price, given the quality and performance.
When you unpackage this thing, you’ll notice that the first thing you’ll see is the mesh lining running along the entire interior of the suit. This is to lessen the overall weight of the swimshort.
9. Speedo Men's Swimsuit Square Leg Endurance+ Solid
- Available in different sizes
- Has a competition cut
- Stylish and a great model
- Super-comfortable material
- Suitable for many activities and sports
- Has a decent fit
- Great design
- Oval mesh panels
- Comfortable, light weight, and flexible
- Has supportive fabric
This is a very tight swimwear designed for competition swimming. It has a unique design and is made of very high-quality material. It has a snug fit that maintains your body temperature, and is perfect for water aerobic, water polo, beaching, boating, and other such water activities. This particular model is available in different sizes.
The fabric of the Speedo Men's Endurance Plus Solid swimsuit has a lot going for it. It is soft, comfortable and flexible. The inside part of this suit is lined with fabric that feels really soft to the skin. If you wear this bikini during an activity, it will give you the kind of performance you deserve. The stitching and fabric also hold up really well to long-term use without showing signs of wear and tear.
10. NORTY Mens Swim Trunks
- The material is light and soft
- High-quality mesh fabric
- Nice placement of pockets
Mesh Fabric Trunks Men with Pockets that look & feel great.
And last but not least, we have the Norty Mesh Fabric trunks. These are actually a fair bit more affordable than most options on the market. They are made from high-quality mesh fabric that feels light and soft, not that stiff fabric other swim trunks use.
The swimming trunks feature a unique stitching pattern on the side of the shorts, as well as a clear and distinct Norty logo. There are three pockets including two inner mesh and one external cargo pocket at the front of the swim trunks. One minor drawback is that the external pocket has no zipper.
11. Under Armour Men's Rigid Boardshorts
- The compression fit is extremely comfortable
- Stain release technology for worry-free washing
- Anti-microbial technology so your trunks don’t stink
- The pocket is roomy and secure
- The "Rigid Board Short" tag it comes with rubs off easily
- The "UA" logo on the left leg rubs off easily
- The "Under Armour" logo on the left leg is very prominent
The Under Armour Men’s Rigid Boardshorts are made of 100% Polyester Supplex Ripstop. This fabric is incredibly lightweight and breathable, keeping you cool and comfortable. The shorts feature a contoured, compression fit design, for a snug but not uncomfortably tight fit.
The shorts use Stain Release Technology, which helps them resist stains and spills. They can even go in the washing machine! But they’ll still look as good as when you bought them.
These boardies use Under Armour’s patented chlorine-resistant Anti-Microbial finish. So you don’t have to worry about that notorious "swim trunk smell”. Especially if you enjoy swimming regularly.
12. Rip Curl Men's Time 20" Board Shorts
- Sturdy fabric with 4-way stretch
- Great range of colors
- Borderless printing
- Subtle brand name branding
- Good range of sizes
- Averaging positive reviews
While Rip Curl's Time shorts are relatively beginner friendly, the fabric can come across as stiff, because it's not flexible. If you have an athletic build or are on the taller side, then you may probably want to pick up a larger size than you think you'd need.
Overall, this is a high quality pair of board shorts at an affordable price. Its a good reputable brand, and is from a top swimwear manufacturer.
13. Polo Ralph Lauren Mens Printed Swim Shorts Beach Trunks
- These swim trunks are sold at a reasonably affordable price
- They come in 4 different colors to meet your taste
- The trunks are made from excellent quality fabric and well stitched
- They are very durable and long lasting, so you are sure to get maximum value for your money
- They are decorated with a stylish design
- They draw the attention of many people by an attractive design
- They are extremely comfortable for your skin
- They make your body look hot and dynamic
- They are extremely durable and long lasting
- You can wear them to any party and people will show great interest into them
(4 Colors Available)
The Polo Ralph Lauren Printed Swim Shorts Beach Trunks are among the best-seller items on the market because of their high quality. From the design to the product itself, everything is of high quality. When buying this swimwear, the first doubt the customers have is whether it will be made of good or bad materials. The material that has been used in making these swim trunks is very good and the strength of the materials is tremendous.
14. Amazon Brand
- Great fit
- Lightweight mesh fabric dries quickly
- No outer stitching to irritate your skin or cause chaffing
- Great value for your money
- Will fit snugly even on muscular thighs
- The fit is snug for most men
- Only comes in one color
- The drawstring is too short
This pair of swim trunks from Goodthreads comes in a comfy mesh fabric. They have an ultra-relaxed fit and are designed with long legs. The wide waistband will ensure that the trunks will fit snuggly on your hips. These trunks are available in one color – black, so if you�re looking for a colored pair of trunks choose another pair from this list.
The trunks are available in multiple sizes and will fit any waist between 28 and 32 inches. You can pair your new trunks with a matching Goodthreads bathing suit if you want to.
What are the best men’s swim shorts? What are the best men’s swim trunks?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best men's swim trunks?
For men who play beach volleyball, pay attention to the number of reinforced seams on the trunks to ensure maximum durability in the middle of intense action on the beach.
As far as the fabric goes, polyester-nylon blends are generally more resistant to fraying, fading, and pilling. You want swim trunks that dry quickly after use and that are not bulky. As far as style go, the trunks are mostly low-rise and with a square cut leg opening.
What are the best swim trunks?
Finding a good pair of quality men’s swim trunks need not be complicated. All it takes is to visit your nearest retail store or browse the internet and you’ll be overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices.
Chances are your brand new pair of cool, stylish, and comfortable swim trunks will not be the right pair for you. It’s not about how these swim trunks look or how well they fit you. It’s about your comfort, style, and satisfaction. That’s why it’s best to educate yourself and consider the factors that matter the most to you. This chapter will give you the answers to most of your questions and allow you to make an informed decision.
Why do men's swim trunks have netting?
There are probably two main reasons why netting is a popular feature in beachwear. First, it can be used to hide… stuff. Keep in mind that the manufacturing process for swimwear is fairly complicated, and therefore many swimsuits might not be made 100% of the same material (otherwise, cheeky finders would be a big problem for manufacturers).
But netting is more than just an enabling factor that allows manufacturers to avoid the problem of making a completely seamless swimsuit. It can also be used to make swimwear more protective against the sun, and is therefore valued as an element that can make a swimsuit cooler for more comfort.
How short should men's swim trunks be?
Men's swim shorts are a must to protect your legs from water-borne sunburn, but excess material or loose shorts can be very uncomfortable for swimming. Swim trunks should be worn high enough to cover your rear end, but no longer than what's acceptable within your gym or workplace.
Choose swim shorts that are designed for swimming to ensure comfort and freedom of movement. Split-tail shorts are best because they won’t get too heavy or waterlogged as you work out. Low-rise, fitted trunks are best if you’re working out in a swimming class or doing a lot of backstroking. If you want something looser that’s great for lounging around the pool, then any sort of swim shorts will work. The key to comfortable and appropriate-length swim shorts is your comfort.
So are you tired of all the options that are available out there and not knowing which one to get? Well, here are some of our tried and tested winners that make the perfect swim trunk. This list gives you everything you need to pick the right one for yourself.
|Kanu Surf Men's Barracuda Swim Trunks||Best Overall|
|NORTY Mens Swim Trunks||Budget Pick|
|Birdwell Men's 311 Nylon Board Shorts||Upgrade Pick|