Finding the 9 best shaving creams in 2022 is no walk in the park. Men everywhere are always searching for a high-quality shaving cream to use for their morning shave, and with so many options out there, it can be tough to know where to start.
|Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave||Best Overall|
|Cantu Mens Cleansing Pre-shave Scrub||Budget Pick|
|Shave Cream||Upgrade Pick|
1. Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave
- Provides a smooth, comfortable, and close shave
- Not too expensive
- Highly moisturizing – relieves skin irritation
- No scent
- Good for sensitive skin
- Only suitable for use with stainless steel or plastic razors
- Since it’s “lubricating” it can leave a bit of residue on the face and neck
Like many men, you may have tried literally hundreds of products, some expensive, some not so expensive, looking for that perfect product to give you a close and comfortable shave, and up to this point it doesn’t look like you’ve found it.
Maybe in the past you’ve used one of those so-called –miracle grow” shaving lotions that not only promised a close, comfortable shave but also boasted that it would reduce razor bumps and ingrown hairs.
These products are usually thick and creamy and do help you get a close shave, but when you’ve finished shaving, your skin is dry and flaky. Razor bumps have been reduced, but unfortunately you’re left with an uncomfortable dry, itchy sensation.
2. L'Occitane Cedrat Shaving Gel 5.10 Fl Oz
- Has an affordable price
- Makes your skin soft and smooth
- Contains natural oils to protect your skin from extra dryness
- The gel lathers easily
- The scent is subtle and pleasing that stays for a long time
- It will help you to get a smoother and cleaner shave
- Lack of consistency in the scent
- It contains parabens
L'Occitane Cedrat Shaving Gel is not too expensive but rather a little more on the expensive side compared to other brands. But since the formula is among the best in its class, it is still a top choice when it comes to a shaving gel.
It lathers with ease and prepares your skin for a close and clean shave. The scent is subtle to the nose and will stay for a long time. After the shave, it leaves your skin smooth and soft. The natural ingredients help in keeping it hydrated. There is also protection from over drying.
It is rather difficult to find a gel that is not heavily scented. But this shaving gel does not overdo it. It leaves a pleasant scent on your skin.
3. Proraso Shaving Cream
- is extremely protective
- contains eucalyptus and menthol to keep your face cool
- the tube has a flip lid
- This product is dermatologically tested
- It is made in Italy.
Pack of 3.
This product is made by a company based in Florence, Italy. It's not exactly a cream. It's more like a gel. However, the consistency is hard to explain. The product is enough to keep your face shaved without having to reapply it.
One of the great things I like about it is that, I don't feel like a waxed face after I shave. It makes you feel like you are a marine.
4. Clinique for Men Cream Shave 4.2 Ounce
- It removes hair well
- Doesn’t produce any irritation
- Gives a smooth and clean shave every time you use it
- Has a masculine and refreshing smell
This special shaving cream gives you a clean and comfortable shave, just like a barbershop. You will then feel your face is smooth and supple after you use it. With the pleasant and refreshing smell, you would enjoy using it.
This shaving cream is designed specifically for a man’s face. It can prevent the embarrassing appearance of beard stubble. It slides well across your face and leave your skin feeling nice and smooth. It also prevents the skin from irritation of the razor.
Most of the users who have tried this product give a five star rating for its excellent features. They said it is very gentle. Because of its formula, many customers like it because it does not leave any trail on their skin when they shave.
5. Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Lather Shaving Cream
- Packaged in a stylish bottle
- Formula rinses clean
- Perfect light scent
- Works great on sensitive skin
- Provides a close and comfortable shave
- Skin is left moist and smooth after use
- An extremely affordable luxury shaving cream
- Bottle has a tendency to leak
- Others have found that it does not lather up as well as other creams
- The formula can be drying during the winter
Review: If you have sensitive skin you’ll really appreciate this affordable shaving cream. It will leave your skin feeling moisturized and smooth, without leaving a greasy residue.
This shave cream is great for use at home or when you’re travelling as it comes packaged in a sturdy plastic bottle. The pump top makes it easy to dispense the perfect amount of product.
6. Suvorna 5" Men's Beard & Mustache Trimming
- Extremely sharp blade
- Hygienic – the blades are made from stainless steel
- Can be used for trimming and styling
- Cushioned handles ensure a consistent and steady grip
- Adjustable tension for customized level of use
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- 100% customer satisfaction guarantee
- Scissors are too light for some people
- Blades may not be long lasting
- Blades can become dull pretty quickly
If you’re looking for the definitive pair of scissors to develop your close-quarter beard grooming and trimming techniques, then you’ve come to the right place.
The blades are super-sharp, so you need a steady hand and a good grip. However, many users report that these vintage style shears have come in handy in all sorts of situations – even when those situations didn’t involve cutting hair.
As with other beard trimmers you get what you pay for, but reviews make it clear that these are some of the best bang-for-your-buck scissors you can buy for the price.
7. Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
- Sandalwood scent
- Creates a thick lather but not too much
- The shaving bowl itself is hard, which makes it easy to grip and easier to pour
- The shaving cream creates an air pocket around the blade
- The packaging is pretty to look at
- Needs time to develop a rich lather
- It can be a little dry on the skin
Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowls are comprised of a traditional, multi-purpose cream made from a blend of natural ingredients. They come in a variety of scents, including almond, lemon, lime, jasmine, sandalwood, lavender, peppermint, and rose. This sandalwood scent, made of essential oils, is one of the most popular in the range. When you use this rich cream with a good shaving brush, you create a thick, fluffy lather that seals pores well. This helps to soften your beard, which makes shaving easier. It also creates a slippery barrier around the blade when you are using a safety razor to increase your control and reduce the chances of blade burn. The rich lather also creates a pocket around the blade that helps to lift hairs and reduce irritation.
8. The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil
- Comes in a 2-ounce bottle
- Rubs in easily
- Provides essential moisture for a more comfortable shave
- Helps reduce irritation
- Soft, pleasant scent
- Bonus small brush included
- Subtle fragrance
- Excellent for any skin type
- Safe for breakouts, baby’s skin, and even eczema
- May be too oily for dry skin types
- A little goes a long way…too much may have the opposite effect of what you’re looking for
- Small brush is flimsy and breaks easily
We have analyzed hundreds of shaving product review sites and forums online. We have also consulted with experts who are industry professionals. They have helped us assemble this ultimate list of shaving creams.
9. Cantu Mens Cleansing Pre-shave Scrub
10. Proraso Professional Shaving Brush
- Soft and effective boar bristle
- No harsh after-feel
- Doesn’t contain artificial colors or parabens
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- The knob is only made of plastic
- Can be difficult to find in local stores
The Proraso shaving brush with boar bristles is just as good as the most popular shaving brush from Taylor of Old Bond Street. It’s monocromatic coloring and this little angle of the brush has a vintage look that most men like.
The Proraso shaving brush has a flexible handle that lets you reach under the nose and under the neck without straining yourself. You can use the brush with basically any cream or soap, giving you a close, comfortable shave.
The brush reaches deep into the skin pores, lifts the hairs, and softens them with hot water or steam. This reduces the skin irritation that you get from shaving and also decreases the chances of ingrown hairs.
11. Parker's American Made Deluxe Stoneware Apothecary Style Shave Mug
- Black glazed stoneware
- Well-built and durable
- Doesn’t retain scents or odors
- Doesn’t cause a mess or leak
- Includes high-quality shaving soap
- Made in USA
- The soap doesn’t come with the mug
This black glazed stoneware mug is made in America by Parker Safety Razor. The stoneware mug is designed to look like a classic apothecary but with modern style.
The mug’s lid has a knob that lets you easily grasp it and close it to prevent splashing and spilling. The handle is ridged, which makes it easy to hold with wet hands. The inside of the mug has a coating that prevents water from soaking into the stoneware and staining it. The outside however, is porous, so you should avoid letting it come into contact with substances and scents.
The mug holds 4oz of water and a standard sized bar of shaving soap fits perfectly. The soap holds its shape and lathers as it should, even without the use of a brush. The soap, however, is not included in the set.
12. Shave Cream
- The fragrance is wonderful
- Provides a comfortable shave
- Helps to minimize the appearance of ingrown hairs
- Mild formula making it suitable for sensitive skin
- Ensures a close and comfortable shave without any irritation
- Very good value for money
- Some people may find it a little difficult to squeeze out of the container
- A little expensive
Available in a convenient 5.3oz container, the shave cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street comes in fragrances that will delight the senses.
The cream has an intoxicatingly fresh scent with orange blossom and sandalwood being predominant. It is ideal for sensitive skins and will provide you with a comfortable shave.
The formula contains rosemary oil to help minimize the appearance of ingrown hairs, shea butter to prevent dryness, and glycerin to help keep the skin moisturized.
13. Musgo Real After Shave Balm
- Natural ingredients
- Provides an invigorating cooling sensation upon application
- Effective in soothing and healing skin after shaving
- Never irritates or damages the skin
- No risk of getting nicks or cuts
- Available in scents
- Doesn’t cause skin blemishes
- Doesn’t cause sweating
- Has some negative reviews
- The use of alcohol
- The scent may not be for everyone
- Not manufactured in US
- Contains sulphate
The original after shave lotion you’re looking for is the Musgo Real. It provides a cool, tingling sensation when applied. It is free of harmful chemicals, and is rich in natural ingredients. It is the ideal after shave lotion, because once applied, it leaves your skin feeling soft, clean, and moisture-rich.
The main ingredients are all natural: aloe, glycerin, witch hazel, and hydroxyethylcellulose.
14. Jaald Men's Genuine Leather Toiletry Bag Waterproof Dopp Kit Shaving Bags and Grooming
- Great quality cosmetics bag; great product for the price
- It’s made from high-quality materials
- The bag has extra storage space for makeup; it actually helps you organize the contents
- Easy to hang and store, and it is space-saving as well
- The bag has a waterproof layer that prevents any damage
- The bag looks rather small and flimsy in pictures, but contrary to what you see, it’s well-made and can support a good amount of weight
- It’s slightly smaller than what we expected
The Wahl Professional 8061 gives you a lightweight system with a powerful motor and blades. When hair trimming it is important to start with a powerful motor and blades that are strong enough to cut through any type of hair.
The batteries are also an important feature as you want a unit that will allow you to trim your hair without having to worry about whether it is charged or not.
The blades must be able to cut through any type of hair without having to go over the same spot again, which could possible result in you using too much pressure and cutting beyond the desired area.
15. Kiehl s Since 1851 Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream
- No mess cream
- Rich lather
- Versatile in many applications
- Moisturizes hair and skin
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Great way to show off your morning ritual
- Soap substitute, but not soap
- Shea butter can cause allergic reactions
- Need to use extra care if shaving around eyes
You cannot go wrong with this shaving cream. The only downfall is that it is soap substitute, not actual soap. It keeps the razor clean without extra effort and is packed with aloe and shea butter. Shea butter is said to be highly beneficial for hair and is perfect for people with sensitive skin. If you shave regularly this product will provide a close shave that will leave your skin moisturized. A little goes a long way so this product may last you a lifetime.
16. Shaving Cream/4 oz
- Great inexpensive price
- It’s nice and foamy
- Leaves your skin feeling smooth and soft
- Helps minimize razor burn and cuts
- Fast-drying formula – rinses easily away after shaving
- A little goes a long way
- Some reviewers claimed that it was the closest shave they’ve ever had
- Helps to avoid irritation and razor burns
- Pairs well with other Remington products like the power razor
- Does what it needs to do for an inexpensive price
- Some people had problems with the smell – they claimed that it was too strong
- The foam is not soft
- Not all stores carry it
- Not recommended for sensitive skin
Pump; Remington (For All Razor Types)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is it better to shave with shaving cream?
Yes, shaving cream is better for your skin than other alternatives. Shaving cream coats your skin with a protective layer and makes for a more comfortable shave.
Shaving foam is the most common form of shaving cream. Choose a shaving foam specifically designed for your skin type. For example, if you have sensitive skin, you want to find a moisturizing shaving cream that prevents irritation. You can also search for a shaving cream designed to reduce razor burn and redness. Shaving creams that moisturize also prevent dry skin.
You can also shave with a foaming gel or non-foaming foam product, but foaming products are generally easier to use and less wasteful. Buy products designed specifically for moisture management, razor glide, etc. to notice a difference.
What type of razor gives the best shave?
A razor blade gives a great shave if it’s sharp, but it also helps if your skin is smooth and your droplets of hair stand up well to the blade. This makes a lot of difference if you’re using a razor (as opposed to an electric shaver). So it makes sense to pay attention to the ingredients in your shaving cream.
The key ingredients in a good shaving cream are glycerin and menthol. They not only moisturize and soften your skin but they also help with the glide of the blade on your skin. Plus they spread out all the pores on your skin. When your pores are spread out, the hair follicles stand up better so the blade cuts them more easily.
What is the best shaving gel?
Shaving creams, lotions, and gels are the right choice for most people when shaving your face and body. Shaving oils, however, are especially popular and effective for sensitive skin.
Shaving creams help protect the skin as the blade glides over it, making it easier to shave. All shaving creams are not created equal, though. Some are harsh and irritate skin. Others claim to be great but leave behind a residue. Some creams make your skin feel hardened and over-moisturized.
Select a shaving cream that provides a creamy lather and aids you in shaving by penetrating the skin and protecting it from desiccation. When applying, make sure there is a thick, foamy lather. The thinner the lather, and the more it dissipates quickly, the less effective it is. Shaving creams should not leave behind a watery, oily film. This indicates a product that is not formulated properly.
What type of razor gets the closest shave?
If you want to get a shave that’s close enough that you might think you have a shadow, you’ll need a top-of-the-line shaving cream. That will help any razor glide smoothly over your skin and lock in moisture so your face doesn’t dry out during shaving. A high-end shaving cream absorbs more moisture, promotes a smooth glide, and leaves skin feeling softer than other creams.
Before we begin the countdown, let’s get something straight right off the bat! A men’s grooming essential is beyond the mere use of a shaving cream. It involves water, hydrating foam, and a shaving set. These three factors will determine if you’re going to get a smooth and enjoyable experience or a rough and painful one. Keep in mind that a simple shaving cream will not be enough. You need the whole kit to get the optimal results to your face.
|Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave||Best Overall|
|Cantu Mens Cleansing Pre-shave Scrub||Budget Pick|
|Shave Cream||Upgrade Pick|